We've all had our moments where we slip and fall accidentally, and have recovered with a small scratch and most likely a bruised ego. For some, especially the elderly, a slip and fall accident can be much more devastating and can create long term health ramifications. Young children, who often don’t look before they leap, can also be at risk.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention more than 1 million Americans suffer an injury from a slip-and-fall accident each year, and slips, trips and falls are the leading cause of nonfatal injuries treated annually in the country.
While this is important for your own safety, the safety of your guests is also of concern.
The most common tripping accidents are a result of:
- obstructed views
- lack of or insufficient lighting
- unsecured carpeting
- uncovered cables
- uneven walking surfaces
How can you make your home as safe as reasonably possible for those who visit?
- Install non-slip treads on wooden or tile stairs.
- Check carpet edges are secure.
- Remove obstacles from traffic areas. Items such as magazine stands, coffee tables, and plants can all be potential tripping hazards.
- Inspect the handrails on stairways both inside and outside your home to make sure they are secure.
- Keep electrical cords out of main traffic areas by securing them to the wall.
- If the rugs in your home don't have a slip-resistant backing, add double-sided tape to them.
- Make sure all stairways and walkways both inside and outside of your home are well-lit.
- Maintain the exterior of your home by removing debris like loose stones and fallen tree branches from your yard or clearing snow from walkways.
- Place non-slip mats near entrances to eliminate puddles in your entry way.
- Keep an eye on your guests, if they seem to need additional support when using stairways, offer assistance before they run into trouble.
Try to see your home with fresh eyes and eliminate slip and fall risks before they happen.
If you've been involved in a Personal Injury, and want to know your legal rights, schedule your free initial consultation to discuss your case with Richard Breen Law Offices at 2950 Breckenridge Lane Suite 3, Louisville, KY 40220 if you are in a car accident. You can call at 502-473-0579.