Being in a car accident can be frightening no doubt. It’s easy to say “I’d know what to do if…”, but when faced with the reality – can we really be prepared?
There are a few items to keep with you, in your vehicle, to be prepared in the event of an automobile accident. These items could include a disposable camera, a list of emergency contacts (your child’s school if you’re going to be late, a neighbor), a notepad and pencil, flares, a measuring tape, a permanent marker, and a basic first aid kit. But what do you do next?
- What are the injuries? Try to remain calm and survey yourself and those around you. Does anyone require immediate medical attention? Make sure Louisville emergency services have been contacted.
- What is the extent of the damage? Take pictures; use your permanent marker to identify damage. Take pictures with the measuring tape in the photo to show the size of the damage.
- Are there any witnesses? Take down their contact and vehicle information (make, model, license plate). Using your notepad, ask them to make notes about what they saw.
- Contact the Louisville Police department to file a car accident report.
- Write down everything you remember – draw pictures if it helps tell the story.
- Keep the number of people you discuss your accident with to an absolute minimum, although it may make you feel better, you may start to get confused as others share their accident stories with you.
- Do not admit fault or liability to anyone!
- Contact your insurance company.
- If immediate medical attention was not needed, do follow up with a physician. There may be some injuries that show up after the accident.
- Consult a Louisville Personal Injury Lawyer to ensure your rights are being protected.
Automobile accidents, even small ones, can be scary. Try to remember that there are many professionals that are there to help you – from the emergency service personnel, to your insurance company, to your lawyer. You don’t need to go through this alone!
Schedule your free initial consultation to discuss your case with Louisville Automobile Accident Lawyer, Richard Breen Law Offices at 2950 Breckenridge Lane Suite 3, Louisville, KY 40220 if you are in a car accident. You can call at 502-473-0579.