Frequently Asked Questions

Richard Breen's FAQ

Filter By

What is Kentucky's no-fault insurance law?

Kentucky's no-fault insurance law actually has nothing to do with fault. It is a law about how insurance benefits must be paid in the event of an automobile accident resulting in injury. [Note: No-fault does not apply to damage to your car, which is covered under the "collision"provision of your policy and/or the "property damage liability"provision of the at-fault vehicle’s policy. 

Under this law, a person involved in an automobile accident must look to the insurance policy on the car in which they were occupying at the time of the accident to collect all amounts up to $10,000 in out-of-pocket losses. As a backup, anyone except the driver of an uninsured vehicle can fall back on his or her own insurance No-fault benefits are also known as Personal Injury Protection or PIP.

These out-of-pocket costs include medical bills, prescriptions, a limited benefit for lost wages, funeral bills up to $1000, and "survivor’s loss of services". The wage loss benefit on most policies is capped at $200 per week. Added coverage (called "added PIP") is available on request. Added PIP can also be "stacked," creating more than the "basic coverage"of $10,000. Basic coverage up to $10,000 cannot be stacked.

How can I collect no-fault benefits?

If you are injured in an automobile accident you must first notify your own insurance company If you were not in your own car, then the insurance company covering the car you were in must be notified. If you were a pedestrian, then you must contact the insurance company for the vehicle that struck you. If the insurance company for the vehicle that struck you is unknown or if the vehicle that struck you is not insured, then you must contact your own insurance company.

Once the insurance company responsible for your PIP has been contacted, they will require you to complete a No-fault/PIP application. This application must be filled out, signed, and returned to the company in order to qualify for No-fault/PIP benefits.

Additionally, you will have to complete and sign authorizations for the insurance company to obtain your medical and payroll records. The insurance company will have to be provided copies of itemized medical bills, pay stubs, W-2 forms, doctors’ statements and statements from your employer. Once the insurance company has all the required information it is required to make payment within 30 days.

Do I need an attorney to collect these benefits?

Many times you can collect these benefits from your own insurance company without an attorney Although the application form seems simple, there are some questions that can create problems if answered incorrectly. However, you also may need to proceed against an at-fault driver and their insurance company If that is the case, then it is strongly recommended that you hire an attorney. In all cases consultation with an attorney is recommended.

Will I be required to take a medical examination?

The insurance company cannot automatically require you to be examined; however, it can file a petition in court, for good cause, to require such an examination this is not a common occurrence.

Will I be required to make a statement?

In most cases you will not be required to make a statement, but some insurance companies may request it.

I know my case wasn't a big case, but to me this case was very important. Richard just handled everything; he look care of all the paperwork. My bills were all paid. He really handled it like it was a big case. The outcome was very good and I was very happy with the settlement. If you need to deal with an insurance company, you need to call Richard and let him take care of it.
— Steve

Made Whole Again

We work to get your car fixed, get you a rental, get your medical expenses paid, and your lost wages back. Let us do the paperwork and handle the insurance company. Let us talk to the insurance adjusters.You worry about getting well.

We want you to be made whole again.

Contact Us

Let's Talk: (502) 473 0579